Thursday, February 11, 2010

Movie Merchandising Goes Beyond Stupid

I was in Borders at Ward today, browsing upstairs in the Political and History sections. I noticed a large display over by the restrooms and headed over to investigate. What I saw is beyond ridiculous.

It was a large collection of books and other items related to the book and movie series "Twilight". Not an unexpected thing, of itself, as the books and movies are very popular, especially because they update the vampire story to modern times.

The "Twilight" saga of books is quite popular, which is not unusual as vampires are a staple in the horror genre. When I was a kid, my brother was really into vampire movies and even had a glow-in-the-dark poster of a vampire in the room we shared. Personally, I never cared for vampires or horror films in general. Still, a lot of people like books and movies with vampires in them and a new series comes out every so often. There's even a subculture of people who actually try to live like vampires, including the drinking of real blood and having fangs implanted into their mouths.

People like that should be put away so they can receive psychological help.

Anyway, back to the display...

I wasn't surprised by the souvenir shirts or even the bags. I was surprised by the dolls.

Dolls? For a vampire movie?

What do they expect, that kids will play with these things and the dolls will suck each others blood? WTF are we teaching kids about nowadays? That vampires are fun?

The dolls were what set me over the edge. I understand the toy lines that appeared for Avatar, Star Wars and other films like that. Even though such films did appeal to adults, the primary audience was children and children like to recreate the movies they've watched by playing with toys based on the movies' characters.

But, I am at a loss to figure-out how children will be doing that with toys based on a vampire film, where creatures kill people and drink their blood.

I think that the higher-ups in the movie distributors have either lost their collective minds or the economy is so bad that they've become desperate enough to market these things.

Duane Browning

No comments: