Sunday, October 14, 2012

Scammer Impersonating Louisiana Bank Official

I received this email recently
From: Dr. / Mr. Veron William Rice office18454@gmail.com
Reply-To: Dr. / Mr. Veron William Rice drveron87@live.com
Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:35 AM
Subject: Compliment,
Compensation for your past efforts...See the attachment
(attachment sent as txt file)
Compliment,
How are you doing? Hope you have not forgotten me? I am Dr. / Mr. Veron William Rice, the man from United States of America who contacted you some time ago to assist me secure the release of some money accrued from the over invoicing of a Contract/inheritance, Next Of Kin and ATM that was awarded by the U.S government. Though you were not able to assists me conclude the transaction, I’m happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred under the assistance and co-operation of a new partner from Brazil.
Presently I am in South Korea for investment projects with my own share of the total sum. Meanwhile, I didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me in transferring those funds, I make sure you are not left out the benefit of the transaction hence I kept aside for you a mere US$5Million Dollars and the funds was made out to you in cash which I deposited with a bank in Louisiana. I and my new partner agreed to compensate you with that amount for all your past efforts and attempt to assist me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much, so feel free to contact the bank and instruct them on how to send the US$5 Million across to you.
Keep me posted immediately you receive the Funds so that we can share the joy together after all the stress at that time. I had left instruction to the bank so as soon as you contact them, they will make the funds available to you,feel free to get in touch with them NOW VIA the below information
NOTE: You are to reconfirm to the bank your contact information and direct number# for proper communication.
Below is the contact details of the bank:
Contact Person: Walter E. Dorroh, Sr.
Contact Bank: Community Bank of Louisiana
Bank Phone Number:(318) 615-0694
Bank Address: 118 Jefferson Street Mansfield, Louisiana 71052
Bank Contact E-mail: foreignoperation-dept2@live.com
Regards,
Dr. / Mr. Veron William Rice
Naturally, the Community Bank of Louisiana knows absolutely nothing about any of this and they were quite shocked to findout that they were being used as a cover story for an Internet scam.

The email was IP-traced and revealed to have originated from Naperville, Illinois. I called the Mansfield location of the bank and informed them of the email. I subsequently informed the New Orleans office of the FBI because this scam involves a bank located in their jurisdiction and due to the email having been sent from another state. All crimes that cross state lines and/or involve banks fall within the FBI's jurisdiction.

I sent a reply to this email and received the following response
From: Walter E Dorroh Sr
To: (my cover identity)
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:04 AM
Subject: Hello Mr. (my cover identity)...Welcome To Community Bank of Louisiana

Welcome To Community Bank of Louisiana
118 Jefferson Street Mansfield, Louisiana 71052
(318) 615-0694
Hello Mr. (my cover identity). 
Thank you for contacting us for your transfer, We have the sum of US$5million here in our bank from Dr. / Mr. Veron William Rice with an instruction to make the transfer of the above amount to you anytime you apply for the transfer.
Right now we are informing you that we are set for the transfer as soon as we hear from you with your bank account details for the transfer.
Get back to us with your full bank account details for the transfer then we will proceed with your transfer from there.
I wait your urgent response. 



Walter E. Dorroh, Sr.
Chairman Community Bank of Louisiana
118 Jefferson Street Mansfield, Louisiana 71052
(318) 615-0694
(888) 679-6246 Toll Free Number
 An IP trace indicates that the second email originated from Lagos, Nigeria. This isn't surprising. I am left wondering if the given phone number are legitimate or are part of the scam. Either way.

Mr Dorroh really is an official of this bank, but you obviously won;t be communicating with him by email.

Rest assured that both the bank and the FBI are aware of this scam. What they can do about it is anyone's guess.


Duane Browning

No comments: